Friday, June 20, 2014

Ipsy - June 2014

I finally received my June Ipsy bag in the mail yesterday, shipping took several days longer than normal this month.  From the spoilers and Glam Room reveal of the products I received I have to say I was probably the least excited about this bag so far in the 4 months I've been getting Ipsy.  However I will use most of what I got, and the bag itself is nice so it still wasn't really a disappointment.

June's theme is Pretty In Paradise and all subscribers received 5 products.  There were a lot of potential bag variations and Ipsy had said this bag would be more makeup heavy than May's but there were still quite a few of skin and hair care items in the mix.


The first item I received was a Nyx Butter Gloss, which was the only item included in all bags, though with different colors.  I already own 4 of these glosses and plan on reviewing them on the blog soon because I love them.  The odds were against me to try a new color from Ipsy because 2 of the 3 they sent out I already own, and I got Creme Brulee which is one that I have.  I'm okay with owning a backup of it though since I use this color often.  This is a full size gloss worth $5.



The second item in my bag was the Be a Bombshell Lashout Mascara.  I wasn't too excited about it because I already have a couple of unopened black mascaras, but I figured I'd at least try it out eventually.  However, I started reading on Facebook and the Makeup Talk boards about it having a bad smell so I opened it when it came and sure enough it smells terrible.  Be a Bombshell has posted that they ran separate tests on the batch and it is safe to use but I wouldn't use any product that smells this bad so it unfortunately went into the trash.  I liked the Be a Bombshell eyeshadow I got in March so I don't dislike the brand overall but I'm surprised they would sell a mascara like this.  This is listed as their lengthening mascara and I received a 9 gram full sized product worth $15.



Next up was a .16 oz sample of Realtree Beauty Realtree for Her perfume.  I'm not much of a perfume wearer but this has a nice sweet scent so I tried it out when it came.  Unfortunately it still gave me a headache as many perfumes do so it's not for me, but that's not Realtree's fault, just my own allergies so I'll pass this on to someone who will use it.  This sample size is worth approximately $1.18.


The fourth item I received was a full sized .4 oz Ofra Universal Eyebrow Pencil.  This is advertised as being perfect for all skin tones, but swatches as a brown color.  This works find for me since I have brown hair and even darker eyebrows but I can't see it working for someone with blond or red hair.  I have I couple of other products I use for my brows but this is a nice soft pencil and I will use it up eventually.  This brow pencil is worth $13.




The final item in my bag was the Marc Anthony Dream Waves Beach Spray.  This is the item I am actually most excited for out of the bag.  I've been wanting to try a spray like this but didn't want to spend the money in case it doesn't work for my hair.  I haven't had a chance to use this yet but it has a light pleasant coconut scent and the full size 4.2 oz product is only $8.79 so it's affordable if I want to repurchase it.  The sample size I received is 1.52 oz which makes it worth $3.18.


The bag this month is cute and was designed by Rebecca Minkoff.  It's not completely my style but will be fun for summer and I really like that Ipsy partnered with a higher end designer.  It even has a Rebbeca Minkoff tag on it so it looks like one you could purchase, and Rebbeca Minkoff items are quite pricey.  As usual though I won't include the bag in my overall estimate for the month.


While June's products weren't the most exciting for me the only fail was the stinky mascara.  The overall value of this bag was $37.36.  Even if I take out the $15 for the mascara that went in the trash it's still worth $22.36 which is more than double the $10 price I pay each month.  If you'd like to sign up for Ipsy you can do so using my referral link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment