Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ipsy - August 2014

My Ipsy bag came yesterday and I unboxed it on my Makeup Miscellaneous YouTube Channel.  I'm not going to lie, this month was kind of a disappointment for me .  However, I still decided to keep Ipsy over Beauty Box 5 because if I average out previous months I have enjoyed Ipsy more.  Here's hoping next month is better though or Ipsy might be on the chopping block.  This month's theme was Beauty schooled.


I peeked in my Glam Room as usual, and I think knowing what others got made it an even worse month.  I think Ipsy needs to pare down the variety in their bags, especially since their Ipsy Match survey program doesn't seem to work all that well.


The first item I got was outside my bag in a separate cardboard sleeve and it was the Urban Decay Perversion Mascara.  Black mascara has got to be the most frequently sent out beauty subscription item, but fortunately the fact that this was an Urban Decay product (and a newly released one at that) made it a little easier to take.  I'll definitely give this one a shot and see how it works for my lashes.  The sample sized tube is .10 oz making it worth $5.50



Next up was an Absolute You're the Balm Lip Balm in Grape which is from Nicka K New York.  This highlights what I said above about bag variations because some of the other subscribers received tube style all natural organic lip balms that I would have been happy to try out.  The balm I received is a pot style (not my favorite) that's grape flavored and includes ingredients of petroleum, and aspartame.  It also has flecks of glitter, which is not something I want in my lip balm.  It does feel like it will probably be moisturizing, but I doubt I'll get much use out of it.  This sized lip balm is usually sold in a two pack with their green apple flavor for $5.99 which makes this single balm worth approximately $2.99.


The third item I received was a sample tube of the Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refining Primer.  I am excited to try this out as mattifying primers usually work well for me.  It also has a slight tint to it that reminds me of the Benefit Porefessional, though I've only ever tried a teensy sample of that so I can't really say how the two compare to each other.  The swatch blended out quite smoothly, so I will definitely be adding this under my foundation for a while to see how it works out.  The sample is .25 oz and worth $11.25.



Also included in my bag was a very small Coastal Scents Forever Blush Duo sample.  The sample didn't have the colors listed anywhere but fortunately Ipsy's product page was able to tell me the shades are Fresh (the peachy shade) and Elegant (the pink shade).  These blushes seem very smooth and pigmented when swatched with my finger but the sample size is too small to get a blush brush in.  These blushes are currently on sale for $3.98 and Ipsy included a 25% off code of 'blush25off' for Coastalscents.com, so despite my disappointment with the sample size I do think I'll pick up a couple of their Forever Blushes to try because I was planning on ordering the original Revealed Eye Shadow Palette soon anyway.  Since the blushes have a full retail price of $7.95 I guess this 2.5 gram sample has a value of $1.99, which seems high, but I at least want to be consistent in the way I calculate the bag value



Finally I received a sample size Lord & Berry Silk Kajal Kohl Eye Pencil in #1001 Black.  This is tiny, like the size of my pinky tiny.  I know it's not a cheap liner at $16 for the full size but it still just seems underwhelming to get such a tiny sample.  Pencil liners aren't my favorite but this did glide on quite smoothly when swatched so I'll give it a try.  The sample is .02 oz but I cannot find the size of the full sized liner listed anywhere so it's difficult to know the exact value of the sample size.  I held it up to a few other pencil liners I have and it's about 1/3 of an average liner length so I'll give it a value estimate of $4.



The bag itself is quite cute this month, though was difficult to photograph because it kept wanting to roll over and hide the zipper.  It's a pencil case style design to go with their Beauty Schooled theme, and while it isn't exactly the best shape for my purse I'll be able to use it for travel and storage.


Overall probably my least favorite month so far with Ipsy.  I'm going to stick with them for now since I've enjoyed my past bags, hopefully September will be an improvement.  I did get an overall value of $25.73, so it exceeded my $10 subscription price, but still the lowest month for Ipsy since I've joined.  If you'd like to subscribe to Ipsy I'd love it if you did so using my referral link here.  Ipsy is $10 a month or $110 for an annual subscription and you receive 4-5 deluxe sample or full size beauty products each month.  My video unboxing is up on the YouTube channel and also embedded below.

No comments:

Post a Comment